Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What is Love?

Webster's defines love as an affection or feeling towards someone or something.
The Bible defines love as laying down one's life for another.

What does this mean to us? Even if we do figure out some way to define love, how do we do it? How can I love another person? How do I love God?

I am a prideful person. I think of myself as someone who has things pretty much figured out. I am smart, athletic, tall, and posses many qualities seen by the world as good qualities to posses. At the same time, I know that by myself, I am nothing. I am not bad, good, or anywhere in between, I am just nothing. Without the saving knowledge of Christ and Him crucified I am absolutely nothing. Without Christ, nothing I ever do will ever mean anything, nor will it amount to anything of any significance or importance. On the flip side, with Christ everything I do is meant to have eternal significance and importance. I am centering my life and career around this fact and hope that God will use me in some manner for His glory and for the furthering of His kingdom here on Earth.

All that to say that I find myself at times looking at other people who have such a skewed view of God and judging them. I think somehow that I am better than them because God chose me, when in reality, I did nothing to earn this salvation, and I am no better than anyone else ever. God chose me because He wanted to. I did nothing to earn His favor or His grace, He simply loves me and called me to be His son. I am writing to confess my pride and ask that you will pray that somehow I get it through my head that God is everything and I am nothing. I am asked to do things for God and that is what I do. He tells me to love, not judge, so that I what I need to be doing.

That being said, how do I love someone who has such a skewed view of God? Do I simply love them and live my life out in front of them hoping that they will see the truths about God lived out in my life? Do I talk to them in a kind and understanding way about why they believe what they believe? Do I, like Jesus, turn over the tables of their wicked ways and call sin what it is?

In talking this out, I see my pride coming through and have discovered what I need to do. I need to throw myself on the grace and mercy of Christ and pray that God will pull me closer and closer to Him, and that through my getting closer to Him, He will shine through me in ways I can't quite comprehend.

What is love? Love is submitting my life to Christ who called me out of the ashes and letting Him love through me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...baby, don't hurt me.

Sorry, I just had to say it. liked the post, man. True and gritty. Blog confessions can be pretty tough.

Ray said...

"I am writing to confess my pride and ask that you will pray that somehow I get it through my head that God is everything and I am nothing."

God, I pray that you will continually bring Kevin and I to your knees, in awe and fascination of who you are and what you are to us. Please Lord shine lights on us so that our pride is exposed, and crush it. Absolutely crush it, please. You've designed and created Kevin and I to do great things while we are here, even to change the world. We know we won't be able to do that as long as we believe that we have significance in anything but you... so crush us that we might be strong enough to live the life that you've called us to... crush us to nothing, and use us nothings to be radical changers of this tiny planet so that it better recognizes you, your truth, our love for you, and your love of us. Decrease us so that you may increase to be absolutely paramount in our hearts, and this world.

Love you Kevin.