Friday, September 5, 2008

Mission

What is mission? What is missions? What is the difference between the two?

Mission is described as the special task or purpose for which a person is apparently destined in life. Your mission is your goal, your purpose. As Christians, our mission is to "go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." Matthew 28 18-20. Also, I believe that God designed each person with a specific mission in mind. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11. With that in mind? What is my mission?

My mission has to do with missions? Being a missionary can still mean a lot of things. I know missionaries who live here in the States. Missionaries have all sorts of different tasks and goals. Most of the time when we think of a missionary we think of an international missionary, which is what God has called me to do.

We should all live with a mission in mind of reaching the lost and strengthening the found. We should live lives worthy of the cause for which we have been called in Christ Jesus. And in doing that, God will show us where in the body of Christ He wants us to serve.

That being said, my wife and I feel a very strong call to minister to the body overseas somewhere. We are both excited and scared at the same time. I was sitting at a stop light the other day and thinking to myself, "When we go, we're not going to get to see any of our friends or family. I can't just call up my pastor here and meet him for a cup of coffee whenever I please." This thought really scared me. Then I was reminded of the fact that these plans are not mine, but God's. When God places a call on someone's life, He will give the strength it takes to complete the task at hand.

Just thought I'd share that with you. Please be in prayer for us as we begin the process of looking at missionary organizations, and as we continue praying for a specific destination.

1 comment:

Waden's World said...

Hub-a-roooo-ski,

I love you.
I miss you.
I tagged you.
I love you again.

p.s. your "word verification" thingy is really hard to read!